Social icons

Well, last week was hard.

As you know, I have been dating my amazing and adorable boyfriend for over four years now. I can't express how much he means to me. He makes me smile every single day, he treats me way better than I deserve, he's my best friend, my person, and I look forward to a long, long life with him by my side.
When Sean and I first started dating I was curious and excited by the difference in our families. My family coming from a background of North Carolina mountains and Mississippi backyards, and his Italian-Irish roots branching from New Jersey, New York, and Italy and Ireland themselves. After lots of heaping helpings of secret spaghetti sauce, dinners around the table, trips to the Jersey shore, Beech Mountain and Myrtle Beach, apple sauce and sauerkraut, long car rides and heartfelt hugs, I became even more attached to his family. His parents, aunts, uncles and cousins are some of the most loving people I've ever met. They are the ones who have raised him to be the guy that I love so much.
      
Back in October Sean's dad came down with a horrible cough and cold. He took multiple trips to his doctor through November, Thanksgiving, December and Christmas, and all they kept saying was that he had pneumonia and his lungs were filling up with fluid. Well, when the cough never went away even though he was on antibiotics, the doctors were stumped. They couldn't figure out what was causing him to feel so bad. 

This past Friday Sean's dad had a surgery scheduled where they went into his lungs to see what was causing him to have these awful symptoms. Sean, his mom and I sat in the waiting room with bated breath, anxiously anticipating the arrival of the doctor. A lady pulled us into a private room in the corner of the nicest hospital in uptown Charlotte and the lung surgeon came gently into the room.

The news was not what anyone expected... Sean's dad, on January 10th, 2014, was diagnosed with lung cancer. He's as healthy as a horse, and only 2% of non-smokers get it, but for some reason God chose him. We are still not yet sure what type we are facing, but either way it is a surreal thing to process. Sometimes it is difficult to understand why things happen the way that they do.

The only thing that I know will help get Sean's dad and his family through all of this is faith. God heals and works miracles and we have to trust that he will provide. The upcoming months and years are going to be tough, but I know we will get through it together with unfailing love.


For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you." So we can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear!" - Hebrews 13:5

Powered by Blogger.